Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: June 28th....1974

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9321

• RachelPAtoSH
Please be sure that Steve did not have any such conversation and would not have been involved in any such discussions. He toured with an experienced Tour Manager and other personnel who would have dealt with the whole issue. Nevertheless, a contract is a contract and there are many points venues and promoters have to adhere to. The promoter, like so many back in the day, according to those who were there, was getting his moment in the sun, discrediting Steve. It's what the music press wanted to believe back then, that's our understanding.
RACHEL
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9322

• GedKen
Pop paper people eh?

eek, I took it as a little piece of 'memorabilia' from a long time ago; quite sweet in a way; and I thought "well, you're talking about Cockney Rebel now" was a top retort (whether it was actually said or not).

I think the point of the piece was that sometimes a venue didn't meet the band's advance specifications, ergo the cancellation may be the promoter's responsibility not the band's (the piece did go on to emphasis that point).

But if it is a worry then please take it down Rachel. :blush:

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9369

• GedKen
Trawling through the British Library (and the information superhighway) has offered up some other interesting nuggets on that '74 Psychomodo tour.

Just for the record the Scarborough Penthouse date on the 12th of June was also cancelled (again far too small a venue for a band that big), all the other gigs (42?) went ahead. :cheer:

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9372

• leonacht
Dear all , dear GedKen :
Never look back and forget annoying hystory's . There is alway's to tell a story about well known people and even about ordinary people . Main thing is : SH & CR was and is a real exciting & hot thrilling live act with some world famous big hits and many intimistic songs . I don't care what people or press are suggesting / telling about him.....but his music & personnality is taking me / us on high sky clouds !
Have a nice sunday evening & and good workweek !
Leo for L&S

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9373

• GedKen
Always look back Leo, rejoice in those wonderful times, even the 'inconvenient' bits!.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Remember how 'Make Me Smile' came about.... ;)

There have been struggles and adversity, which makes what we have today all the more remarkable.

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9374

• Mr Raffles
Throughout the mid-70's during the Cockney Rebel glory years I'm sure Steve 'played' the music press to a certain degree. Any publicity is good publicity and magazines like the NME who normally favour new and exciting bands turned against Steve and the boys. A bit of resentment perhaps?? They wanted to be the ones to announce this brash new band onto the music scene not Steve Harley himself!! The music and the huge popularity of Cockney Rebel spoke for itself. Sure there were the short term fans who only hung around for Judy Teen and Make Me Smile but 40 years later the true fans remain and the old guy's not doing too bad for himself.
  • Page: